Florida’s Homosassa River and its surroundings are home to all sorts of wildlife: manatees, dolphins, otters, tropical birds—and even a family of four spider monkeys. The primates, who dwell on the manmade Monkey Island, are free to roam and play on the isle’s jungle gym. Guests staying at the Homosassa Riverside Resort can watch the monkeys’ antics from several vantage points around the remote lodge, which is surrounded by picturesque waterways.
- Swim with manatees: Book a tour through the resort and go swimming with the gentle sea creatures just outside the lodge.
- Recreation: Strike up a volleyball match or rent a canoe.
- Go for a swim in the riverfront swimming pool.
- Cruise the river on a pontoon boat for a scenic tour.
- Watch the primates from the dock or a picnic table along the river.